Dan splits his time between Georgia and New York where he handles complex civil and criminal matters for organizations and individuals. He has represented clients on a wide variety of matters, including business litigation and white collar criminal charges such as: bank fraud, insurance fraud, mail fraud, securities fraud, tax fraud, wire fraud, computer and internet crimes, drug crimes, sex crimes, domestic violence, firearms offenses, money laundering, RICO, international extradition, healthcare and prescription drug offenses, assault, armed robbery and murder. Dan's success for defending his clients is based on his unique focus of thoroughly investigating his clients' cases early on.
"I want to make sure law enforcement and prosecutors get the whole story of ‘what happened' before they make the decision to arrest my client or prosecute them in open court," says Dan.
"By investigating the case and negotiation with the prosecutors early in the process, I can many times convince law enforcement and prosecution to not arrest or prosecute my client. In those cases I can't resolve through negotiation, my own forensic investigation has already prepared me to try the case in court long before my client walks into the courtroom for trial."
Here are a few examples of Dan's work as one of the nation's top criminal defense attorneys
In addition to his legal work, Dan is regularly asked to appear as an expert legal commentator on Fox News, Fox Radio, CNN, CNN International, CBS, MSNBC, Al Jazeera and HLN. He has also appeared on various local television news programs to discuss a variety of legal issues.
Dan is a member of both the New York and Georgia State Bars and is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts in both New York and Georgia. Dan has also represented clients as out of state counsel when he has been asked to assist and advise local counsel on federal cases around the country including Arkansas, Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Colorado, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Virginia.
In 2010, Dan was nominated and elected Co-Chair of the International Bar Association's Criminal Law Committee. In June of 2012, Dan Co-Chaired the Criminal Law Committee's annual conference on criminal law and business crime in São Paulo, Brazil. He has also chaired and lectured on a variety of transnational and international legal panels at legal seminars around the world concerning criminal law, anti-corruption, business crime, human rights, and international criminal law. Through his work with the International Bar Association, Dan has developed a worldwide network of legal professionals to assist his clients facing transnational or international legal issues.
Dan is also a former adjunct professor for Emory Law School's Kessler-Eidsen Institute for Trial Advocacy, where he instructed law students in the art of case preparation and trial advocacy. Dan also teaches ethics to first year Emory Law students through a three day round table discussion group comprised of practicing attorneys, first year law students, and Emory Law School faculty.
Dan is also a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and The New York City Bar Association's Criminal Law Section. He is also a member of the International, American, New York, and Georgia Bar Associations.
Legal Expert Commentator
- Fox, CNN, HLN, CNN International, BBC, Al Jazeera, MSNBC, CBS
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Charges
- Bank Fraud
- Insurance Fraud
- Mail Fraud
- Securities Fraud
- Tax Fraud
- Wire Fraud
- Computer and Internet Crimes
- Drug Crimes
- Sex Crimes
- Domestic Violence
- Firearms Offenses
- Money Laundering
- International Extradition
- Healthcare and Prescription Drug Offenses
- Armed Robbery and Murder
- Georgia, 1993
- New York, 2004
- Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- J.D. - 1993
- Allegheny College, Meadville, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1985
- International Bar Association, Transnational Crime Conference, São Paulo, 2012
- International Bar Association, Transnational Crime Conference, Amsterdam, 2011
- International Bar Association Annual Conference, Vancouver, 2010
- International Bar Association Annual Conference, Buenos Aires, 2008
- International Bar Association Annual Conference, Singapore, 2007
- International Bar Association Annual Conference, Chicago, 2006
- Kessler-Eidsen National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- The State Bar of Georgia’s Committee on Professionalism and The State of Georgia’s Chief Justice’s Commission on Professionalism at Emory University School of Law
- Former Adjunct Professor, Emory Law School’s Kessler-Eidsen Institute for Trial Advocacy
- International Bar Association Transnational Crime Conference in Miami, 2013
- Invited to Speak in Bangalore, India January 2014, iTechlaw
- Spoke at the International Bar Association on overzealous international prosecutions in Tokyo, Japan, October 20, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- International Bar Association, Criminal Law Committee, Past Chair
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- American Association of Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- The Lawyer’s Club of Atlanta
- The New York City Bar Association’s Criminal Law Section, Member
- International, American, New York, and Georgia Bar Associations, Member
- Northern District of Georgia
- Middle District of Georgia
- Southern District of Georgia
- Southern District of New York
Past Employment Positions
- Assistant District Attorney