Dan Conaway is one of the nation's premier trial and appellate lawyers. He has twenty five years experience as a successful trial lawyer. He represents individuals and businesses throughout the U.S. and globally on white-collar cases, government investigations and commercial litigation. He focuses his practice on white collar criminal defense, business and intellectual property litigation. Mr. Conaway handles cases and investigations involving the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) defending financial advisors, brokerage firms, and registered representatives in disputes. He has successfully tried hundreds of criminal and civil cases nationwide. In transnational and international cases, Dan has coordinated and advised local counsel in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Cyprus, Lebanon, India, Iran, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Bermuda, Turks and Caicos, Argentina, Mexico, Australia and Canada. In 2017, Dan published the second edition of his critically acclaimed book, "Arrested, Battling America's Criminal Justice System", which can be found on Amazon.com. In 2018, Mr. Conaway began hosting a radio show named after his bestselling book, Arrested, with Mike Brooks on 106.7 in Atlanta. This radio show is also published weekly on Dan Conaway's Arrested Podcast. Also, in October, 2018, Dan participated in a mock trial in the Italian Supreme Court in Rome, Italy at the IBA Annual Conference. The mock trial is meant to teach younger lawyers litigation skills for complex transnational white collar fraud cases. Mr. Conaway has participated in the mock trial with the IBA in Ireland, Australia, Japan and Canada. In October, 2017, he spoke on cyber security at the IBA Annual Conference in Sydney, Australia. In 2016, Dan was invited to join the prestigious National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys and was named one of the Top Ten Attorneys in the nation for his excellence in criminal defense. Dan was also named a "Leader in Criminal Defense" by Time magazine in 2013. In 2011, Conaway & Strickler, PC was named by Newsweek Magazine as one of America's top criminal defense firms. Dan is the founding partner of Conaway & Strickler, which he founded in 1994 after leaving his position as a prosecutor. Dan has since focused his career on litigation and is now one of the nation's top trial lawyers.
Dan splits his time between Georgia and New York where he handles complex civil and criminal matters for organizations and individuals. He has represented clients on a wide variety of matters, including business litigation and white collar criminal charges such as: bank fraud, insurance fraud, mail fraud, securities fraud, tax fraud, wire fraud, computer and internet crimes, drug crimes, sex crimes, domestic violence, firearms offenses, money laundering, RICO, international extradition, healthcare and prescription drug offenses, assault, armed robbery and murder. Dan also represents organizations of all sizes on federal and state data security and privacy laws. He helps clients proactively prevent or manage data breach incidents. Dan's success for defending his clients is based on his unique focus of thoroughly investigating his clients' cases early on.
"I want to make sure law enforcement and prosecutors get the whole story of ‘what happened' before they make the decision to arrest my client or prosecute them in open court," says Dan.
"By investigating the case and negotiation with the prosecutors early in the process, I can many times convince law enforcement and prosecution to not arrest or prosecute my client. In those cases I can't resolve through negotiation, my own forensic investigation has already prepared me to try the case in court long before my client walks into the courtroom for trial."
Here are a few examples of Dan's work as one of the nation's top criminal defense attorneys
In addition to his legal work, Dan is regularly asked to appear as an expert legal commentator on Fox News, Fox Radio, 106.7, CNN, CNN International, CBS, MSNBC, Al Jazeera and HLN. He has also appeared on various local television news programs to discuss a variety of legal issues.
Dan is a member of both the New York and Georgia State Bars and is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts in both New York and Georgia. Dan has also represented clients as out of state counsel when he has been asked to assist and advise local counsel on federal cases around the country including Arkansas, Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Colorado, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Virginia.
In 2010, Dan was nominated and elected Co-Chair of the International Bar Association's Criminal Law Committee. In June of 2012, Dan Co-Chaired the Criminal Law Committee's annual conference on criminal law and business crime in São Paulo, Brazil. He has also chaired and lectured on a variety of transnational and international legal panels at legal seminars around the world concerning criminal law, anti-corruption, business crime, human rights, and international criminal law. Through his work with the International Bar Association, Dan has developed a worldwide network of legal professionals to assist his clients facing transnational or international legal issues.
Dan is also a former adjunct professor for Emory Law School's Kessler-Eidson Institute for Trial Advocacy, where he instructed law students in the art of case preparation and trial advocacy. Dan also teaches ethics to first year Emory Law students through a three day round table discussion group comprised of practicing attorneys, first year law students, and Emory Law School faculty.
Dan is also a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and The New York City Bar Association's Criminal Law Section. He is also a member of the International, American, New York, and Georgia Bar Associations.
Legal Expert Commentator
- Fox, CNN, HLN, CNN International, BBC, Al Jazeera, MSNBC, CBS
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Charges
- Bank Fraud
- Insurance Fraud
- Mail Fraud
- Securities Fraud
- Tax Fraud
- Wire Fraud
- Computer and Internet Crimes
- Drug Crimes
- Sex Crimes
- Domestic Violence
- Firearms Offenses
- Money Laundering
- International Extradition
- Healthcare and Prescription Drug Offenses
- Armed Robbery and Murder
- Georgia, 1993
- New York, 2004
- Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- J.D. - 1993
- Allegheny College, Meadville, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1985
- Arrested, Battling America's Criminal Justice System, 2014
- International Bar Association, Transnational Crime Conference, São Paulo, 2012 to 2012
- International Bar Association, Transnational Crime Conference, Amsterdam, 2011 to 2011
- International Bar Association Annual Conference, Vancouver, 2010 to 2010
- International Bar Association Annual Conference, Buenos Aires, 2008 to 2008
- International Bar Association Annual Conference, Singapore, 2007 to 2007
- International Bar Association Annual Conference, Chicago, 2006 to 2006
- The State Bar of Georgia’s Committee on Professionalism and The State of Georgia’s Chief Justice’s Commission on Professionalism at Emory University School of Law
- International Bar Association Transnational Crime Conference in Miami, 2013 to 2013
- Invited to Speak in Bangalore, India January 2014, iTechlaw
- Spoke at the International Bar Association on overzealous international prosecutions in Tokyo, Japan, 10/20/2014 to 10/20/2014
- Annual Conference On Criminal Law And Business Crime, São Paulo, Brazil, Criminal Law Committee, Co-Chair, 2012
- Teacher, First Year Emory Law Students, Emory Law School Faculty
- Kessler-Eidson National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Former Adjunct Professor, Emory Law School’s Kessler-Eidson Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Former Adjunct Professor, Kessler-Eidson Institute for Trial Advocacy, Emory Law School
Honors and Awards
- Top Ten Attorneys, Criminal Defense
- Leader in Criminal Defense, Time Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- International Bar Association, Criminal Law Committee, Past Chair
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- American Association of Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- The Lawyer’s Club of Atlanta
- The New York City Bar Association’s Criminal Law Section, Member
- International Bar Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys, 2013