You have a down moment at work and decide to jump on Facebook to check out what your friends have been up to recently. However, much to your surprise, your password is no longer working. You have been hacked and some criminal has gotten a hold of your password and changed it, thus circumventing your security and gaining access to your personal information. What is more concerning, is that you do not know where this person is or if they have jeopardized your security elsewhere too. Fortunately, there are things you can take to keep yourself safe from common cybercrimes that happen in Georgia.
According to Norton, there are many different types of cybercrime including the following:
- Child exploitation
- Security breaches
- Identity theft
When you are aware of the dangers of cybercrime and are prepared with methods to combat it and protect your security, you can feel more confident about your ability to keep your personal information confidential and away from would-be thieves. Some of the things you should do include the following:
- Keep your passwords up-to-date and change them frequently.
- Be aware of how privacy settings work on social media websites and put them to use.
- Teach your children from a young age about the type of cyber interaction that is appropriate and which is not.
- Maintain your software and make sure that it is up-to-date.
- Use a strong password on your home internet access to keep would-be thieves out.
- If you suspect that you are a victim of cybercrime, immediately contact the authorities and suspend all internet activity.
The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.